Written by: Damien Powell
On January 1st the world is going to get ready to say “Happy New Year!” And they are going to set all kind of New Year resolutions that they will set out to accomplish, but what is the origin behind this so-called New Year? And the origin of the resolutions?
This day is probably the most overlooked because it seems harmless, but yes, even this day has ties to pagan worship. YHWH told us that the New Year for those who believe in Him on the Hebrew calendar is in late March or early April (the month of Abib) when Passover was instituted. Exodus 12:1-2 says:
“And YHWH spoke to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt Saying, This month is the beginning of months for you, it is the first month of the year for you.”
YHWH’s calendar looks like this:
Biblical Calendar Name
Abib (Passover, Feast of Unleavened Bread)
Ethanim- (Yom Teruah/Trumpets, Day of Atonement, Feast of Tabernacles, 8th Day Assembly
So where did all the extra months come from and who was behind it all? Here are some facts about New Years and its origin:
· New Years is directly related to the solar, winter solstice, sun elohim worship the same way that X-mas is. It is no coincidence that it is a week apart.
· The first festivities of New Year’s goes back 4,000 years ago in Ancient Babylon whom YHWH calls in Revelation 17:5 “BABYLON (BABEL) THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF THE WHORES AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. Babylon is called “The Mother of the abominations of the earth” because Mothers give birth and she birthed many false religions, pagan worship, idol worship, false traditions and lies.
· Rome however has main influence over our calendar today but they learned it from Babylon with the New Year beginning at the vernal equinox. Their first calendar consisted of 10 months and 304 days. And their first month started in March as well.
· The Romans originally numbered their months the same way YHWH numbered most of His months for example YHWH only names three months Abib, Ziv, and Ethanim. The rest of them He called the third month, the fourth month, etc. The Romans named the months based on number for example July was Quintilis meaning 5 for fifth month, Sextilis for 6th month later changed to August to honor Augustus Caesar in 8 BCE, Septe for 7th month, Novem for 9 (November) and Dece for 10 (December.)
· January and February did not exist until 1700 BCE (Before common era) when the 2nd King was in Rome
· The calendar fell out of sync with the sun, so Julius Caesar added the Julian calendar which is similar to the Gregorian calendar we follow today. He added 67 extra days to catch up with the lunar and solar year. He also added a day in February every 4 years to keep his calendar in sync.
· In 153 BCE was celebrated as the New Years for the pagan deity named Janus hence the name January. He represented “New beginnings”. Janus was a two-faced deity with head looking forward to the New Year and a head looking backward at the old year. The people would then offer sacrifices to him and join in parties to celebrate as we do today. We are just recreating pagan rituals as they did in ancient times.
· January was also celebrated as New Years when it was moved from March to January also coinciding with the Roman politicians beginning their new term, which we do in our modern society where even human sacrifices are still offered to Satan today by pagan worshippers on Inauguration day on January 20th. It’s all set up this way for a reason to accomplish their pagan worship.
· The church has found a way to “Christianize” a pagan custom again by saying that it is celebrated as the day of Yeshua’s circumcision, after His so-called birth on X-mas which is another lie.
· Pope Gregory who invented the Gregorian calendar the world follows today was assisted by an astronomer who helped him to correct the 11 days (1752 jump) that were missing off of the Julian calendar. This is the secular calendar being used in our modern society instead of YHWH’s Hebrew calendar.
Where do New Year resolutions come from?
The Babylonians wanted to start the year off right by making promises in order to obtain favor from their false deities, which is where we get making New Year’s resolutions from, so again when we partake in this activity we are doing nothing more than recreating pagan rituals.
We must unlearn these lies that we have inherited and follow YHWH in spirit and truth and walk as Yeshua walked. The world has added new traditions to His Word and we have been warned of this in Revelation 22:18:
“For I witness to everyone hearing the words of the prophecy of the book: If anyone adds to them, YHWH shall add to him the plagues that are written in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, YHWH shall take away his part from the Book of Life, and out of the Holy city, which are written in this Book.”
Let us stand up and fight for the Elohim of Yisrael in truth!